Carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)
This is a relatively common condition that causes pain, numbness and a burning or tingling sensation in the hand and fingers. The carpal tunnel is a small tunnel that runs from the bottom of the wrist to the lower palm.
Several tendons that help to move the fingers pass through the carpal tunnel as does the median nerve, which controls sensation and movement of your hand.
The compression of the median nerve can disrupt the nerve signals, affecting your sense of touch and hand movements. The median nerve can become compressed if the tendons that run through the carpal tunnel are swollen and inflamed.
Examples of activities that may lead to CTS include:
• playing a musical instrument
• assembly packing
• using a computer keyboard
• craft work (making decorative items by hand)
• work that involves manual labor
Carpal tunnel treatment options, including splinting and activity modifications. Make sure to talk with your healthcare provider or physical therapist about exercises that make the most sense in your particular situation. Some exercises are only recommended after symptoms have improved.
Tendon-gliding exercises: move your fingers through five positions while your wrist stays in a neutral position (meaning it is not bent):
• Start with your fingers straight
• Make a hook fist and then return to a straight hand
• Make a straight fist and then return to a straight hand
• Make a full fist and then return to a straight hand.
Hold each position for seven seconds, and do 10 repetitions. Repeat three times to five times a day.
Median Nerve-Gliding Exercises
move your thumb through six positions while your wrist stays in a neutral position. as following:
• Begin by making a fist with your wrist in the neutral position
• Straighten your fingers and thumb
• Bend your wrist back and move your thumb away from your palm
• Turn your wrist palm up
• Use your other hand to gently pull your thumb farther away from your palm.
Hold each position for seven seconds, and do five repetitions. Repeat three to five times a day.